Topic: Climate Solutions
Guest Speaker: Brad Schultz, Senior Energy Specialist and Energy Advisor to BEYOND ZERO EMISSIONS
How fortunate are we?? Our Guest Speaker organiser, John Oxenford, has enticed Brad Schultz, Senior Energy Specialist and Energy Advisor to BEYOND ZERO EMISSIONS to come to Bribie Island.
BEYOND ZERO EMISSIONS is a volunteer-led climate solutions think tank. BZE ranks as one of the top international think tanks.
The BZE community of volunteers is made up of technology experts, scientists, researchers, communicators and concerned citizens who freely give their time and expertise so that a safe climate can be secured for all.
See attached poster for more information.
Topic: Wallum frog monitoring on Bribie Island
Guest Speaker: Drs Harry Hines and Ed Meyers
We are very happy to have Drs Harry Hines and Ed Meyers present at our October meeting.
They will be introduced by Alan Kerr (former BIEPA President) who is coming in (from out West) especially for the meeting.
They will reminisce about the “halcyon nights” of Wallum frog monitoring on Bribie Island and talk about the extensive research they have carried out.
It will be wonderful to welcome these “frog” scientists back to Bribie Island.
See attached poster for more information. (In jpeg and pdf for your convenience)
We look forward to seeing you Monday night (23rd October)
BIEPA Management Committee
Topic: Environmental Law
Guest Speaker: Ms Revel Pointon, from the EDO
We have asked Revel to outline:
– The role of the EDO
– What the EDO does and doesn’t do
– Discuss some recent and current cases, in particular, the Acland decision where the judge upholds the objections on the grounds that there is no assurance that the affected ground can be made good at the cessation of operations.
– Comment on the documentary BIEPA members viewed at our June meeting, “Guarding the Galilee”, which was a follow-up to the Bimblebox documentary members viewed at BIEPA’s April 2014 meeting.
– Discuss how BIEPA and the community can lobby the State Government to uphold the commitments and obligations the federal government agreed to when signing the UN Ramsar Convention on Wetlands in 1993.
– Address BIEPA members questions.
It promises to be an exciting jam-packed evening of how environmental law works.
We thank Revel ahead of time.
Topic: Birds, particularly the Osprey
Guest Speaker: Pip Grant-Taylor from Osprey House
Pip will be regaling us with her extensive knowledge of birds, in particular the osprey. Click on this National Geographic link to see some of Pip’s incredible photos:
Pip also wrote and illustrated, “Talon the Aussie osprey: the ospreys of Osprey House”, a story of the first osprey chick hatched at Osprey House Environmental Centre near Brisbane. It includes a design and instructions for a hanging osprey mobile. An accompanying CD features two videos about Talon.
The BIEPA committee visited Osprey House recently and we featured it in our most recent BIEPA News.
Download the poster AugustMeeting2017 for more informtion.