Topic: Environmental Law
Guest Speaker: Ms Revel Pointon, from the EDO
We have asked Revel to outline:
– The role of the EDO
– What the EDO does and doesn’t do
– Discuss some recent and current cases, in particular, the Acland decision where the judge upholds the objections on the grounds that there is no assurance that the affected ground can be made good at the cessation of operations.
– Comment on the documentary BIEPA members viewed at our June meeting, “Guarding the Galilee”, which was a follow-up to the Bimblebox documentary members viewed at BIEPA’s April 2014 meeting.
– Discuss how BIEPA and the community can lobby the State Government to uphold the commitments and obligations the federal government agreed to when signing the UN Ramsar Convention on Wetlands in 1993.
– Address BIEPA members questions.
It promises to be an exciting jam-packed evening of how environmental law works.
We thank Revel ahead of time.